Monday, January 21, 2008

In Heavenly Love Abiding

As I've mentioned before, our daughter moved to London this past weekend. She arrived safely yesterday and gave us a call to let us know she was okay and settling into the apartment her company has. She'll be looking for her own place in the next two weeks, getting a bank account set up, getting her own phone (hopefully with a US number combined with it *smile*), and taking overnight trip to Paris on the train.

Someone asked me yesterday at church how I was doing. And it depends on when you ask me. Most of the time I'm very happy for her that this dream is coming true for her. But I'm already missing her terribly. I told her Thursday evening when we were saying our good-byes that this was harder than sending her off to college the first time. It doesn't help that a year ago we were sitting at my mom's deathbed. However, I'm so thankful that neither of these good-byes are permanent ones. We will one day see Mom in heaven, and we'll see Kathy at least twice a year, possibly more if we can afford a trip or two over there.

A dear friend prayed with me Saturday evening, and she reminded me once again that my losses aren't permanent, that God wants me to rest in His love—trusting His power and provision, His leading. I know those things, but I need to be reminded of them often. This morning in my quiet time, the Lord gave me Isaiah 40:27–31, reminding me that I exchange my weakness for His strength so that I can soar above the difficulties of life. And then this hymn written by Anna Waring more than 100 years ago. (In case you want to sing it, many hymn tunes fit, but the one I like best is "The Church's One Foundation.")

In heavenly love abiding, no change my heart shall fear.
And safe in such confiding, for nothing changes here.
The storm may roar without me, my heart may low be laid,
But God is round about me, and can I be dismayed?

Wherever He may guide me, no want shall turn me back.
My Shepherd is beside me, and nothing can I lack.
His wisdom ever waking, His sight is never dim.
He knows the way He’s taking, and I will walk with Him.

Green pastures are before me, which yet I have not seen.
Bright skies will soon be over me, where darkest clouds have been.
My hope I cannot measure, my path to life is free.
My Savior has my treasure, and He will walk with me.



Have a blessed day!

Daily Bible reading: Isaiah 1–2, Mark 1:1–22




No comments: