Monday, February 24, 2014

Verse of the Day—Life's Unexpected Turns


(The verses I'm posting today are from the ESV version of Daily Light on the Daily Path devotional.) 

Last week hubby got a text from our landlord saying he was "thinking" about selling the house and property we've been renting the last two years. He said he would call us the next day. No phone call, no text, nothing. 

Then Thursday a realtor put a For Sale sign up in our yard. 

Friday the realtor called to set up a time to see the house that afternoon. We couldn't do it then and finally we settled for a time Sunday. 

Saturday we found the listing online with this in the description (yes, I'm aware of the misspelled word: "Tennant in property now but will be vacant soon."

Hubby again tried to get a hold of our landlord. Hours later, our landlord texted that his house had burned down and he was selling all his rental properties. 

Okay. But does that constitute the 30-day written notice the state of Missouri requires? Not to us, but who knows what the landlord thinks? He's a little bit of a "strange duck," as my mama used to say. 

So we add one more difficult situation on top of several others. God certainly isn't surprised by any of this, though I'm beginning to understand how Job felt. Even more than I have identified with him at times in the past. I'm very thankful that God knows the path ahead; He has a "new" place prepared for us to call home; and He will never leave us to face what seem to be insurmountable mountains before us. 

Saturday, before we saw the online listing, the Lord gave me these verses from my reading in the Daily Light:

Who is the man who fears the Lord? Him will he instruct in the way that he should choose. Psalm 25:12

Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path. Psalm 119:108

And your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying, “This is the way, walk in it,” when you turn to the right or when you turn to the left. Isaiah 30:21

I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my eye upon you. Be not like a horse or a mule, without understanding, which must be curbed with bit and bridle, or it will not stay near you. Many are the sorrows of the wicked, but steadfast love surrounds the one who trusts in the Lord. Be glad in the Lord, and rejoice, O righteous, and shout for joy, all you upright in heart! Psalm 32:8–11

I know, O Lord, that the way of man is not in himself, that it is not in man who walks to direct his steps. Jeremiah 10:23

If you lie down, you will not be afraid; when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet. Proverbs 3:24

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6–7

In peace I will both lie down and sleep; for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety. Psalm 127:2



This morning, these verses were in my reading:

“Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened.” Matthew 7:7–8

And this is the confidence that we have toward him, that if we ask anything according to his will he hears us. And if we know that he hears us in whatever we ask, we know that we have the requests that we have asked of him. 1 John 5:14–15

If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him. James 1:5

Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it. Psalm 81:10

And he told them a parable to the effect that they ought always to pray and not lose heart. Luke 18:1

The eyes of the Lord are toward the righteous and his ears toward their cry. . . . The Lord hears and delivers them out of all their troubles. Psalm 34:15–17

“Ask, and you will receive, that your joy may be full.” John 16:24


Yes, I'm thankful that the Word of God is living. It has the answers to anything life throws at us. It equips us for the battles and tasks we face. And its promises are as true today as they were when the words were written. 

I'm thankful that God is continually guiding me, that He never leaves me, He's always with me. His plans for me are beyond what I can even think or imagine. And as I keep my eyes on Jesus, He will enable me to run the race He has ordained for me. 

God is good. All the time. Even when our plans and tasks for the week include starting the search for our new place to live. 

No comments: