Monday, December 12, 2011

Answered Prayer and a Tough Decision


Answered Prayer and a Tough Decision

After eleven months of unemployment and not having any “real” leads for a new job, Roger has accepted a job offer. In Missouri. Since we’re in Colorado . . . well, yes, that means a move. Not exactly what either of us wanted. Especially right in the middle of Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years. It turned out to be one of the toughest decisions we’ve ever made.

We first heard of the possibility of this job back in October. Our pastor and his wife were on vacation when I received a phone call from them. They had just toured the plant and heard the owner’s requirements for new project managers. Roger wasn’t home at the time, so Susan gave me all the details (phone numbers, e-mail address, and the name of who to contact). Roger e-mailed the owner that evening and had a phone interview the next day.

When they offered to fly Roger in to see the plant and job for himself, we knew it was worth pursuing. So two weeks later, he was there for a three-day introduction to the area (one we were somewhat familiar with since we’d vacationed there several times) and the job. He came home with a job offer. Even though he’d called every evening with a report of the day’s activities and conversations, he was still unsure of how I would react—especially when it meant we’d need to move.

The first thing we did was ask for prayer from many different arenas. Our church, my writing groups, Facebook, etc. The biggest obstacle we had before us was what to do with our house. We are upside-down in it, especially after almost a year of unemployment. We looked into renting and/or selling.

Here are some entries from my prayer journal at the time:

October 26, 2011
Do not cast away your confidence, which has great reward. For you have need of endurance, so that after you have done the will of God, you may receive the promise. Hebrews 10:35

“Believe that you have received,” is the Savior’s word to us, “and ye shall have.” It is clear that during the waiting time, Abraham believed he had received, for the simple reason that he was “giving glory to God” in confident anticipation of blessing. While still praying and waiting, he was brought to the point of faith where he was as sure of the son that was to be given as if he held the babe in his arms. To reach the same point should be our goal as we pray. . . .
            “You may have prayed long and earnestly for _______________. Your faith may have been sorely tried and tested. You have been tempted to give up in despair. Hold on! Hold on! For He is faithful that promised. The very testing is effecting in you the will of God and preparing you for the blessing.” (Arthur Wallis, In the Day of Thy Power)

The water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life. John 4:14

“I would have you as the waterfall whose sound is continuous, as a great river whose flow is continuous.” (Frances J. Roberts, Come Away My Beloved)

Father, I praise You. Thank You for the verse in Hebrews, reminding me that my confidence in You is never wasted, never unprofitable. In fact confidence is the result of faith and trust in You, that You never fail to keep Your promises. You are trustworthy. Right now You are showing us that persistence in prayer, confidently expecting the answers, grows us spiritually and results in receiving the blessings You have in store for us. Show us Your will this week as Roger checks out ACGI. Help us to know beyond a shadow of a doubt if this is Your will or not. . . .

October 28, 2011
“I desire to do your will, O my God, your law is written in my heart.” Psalm 40:8

“When the Spirit of truth comes, He will guide you into all truth.” John 16:13

“Herein is my Father glorified, that you bear much fruit.” John 15:8

“Only to have life is not enough. Fulfillment is that for which I am waiting, yes, the manifestation of My sons and daughters as they come to maturity and as they produce that for which I created them.” (Frances J. Roberts, Progress of Another Pilgrim)

Father, I praise You for the Spirit of truth You have given us to guide us in You truth, Your way, Your purposes for our lives. We want to do Your will, to bear much fruit. We desire to do Your will. We want Your best for us. If You want us in Missouri, make it very clear. If You want us to stay here, make it just as clear. Right now the circumstances seem to indicate the move. But we don’t want to base that decision on circumstances alone. We desire Your clear direction. Use others, even put within us Your Word, so when the enemy attacks—and he will—we can fall back with certainly on that Word. Above all, give us peace. In Jesus’ name, we ask this. I love You.

October 29, 2011
Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly . . . but his delight is in the law of the Lord, and in his law does he meditate day and night. Psalm 1

I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. Philippians 3:8

David strengthened himself in the Lord his God. 1 Samuel 30:6

I will bless the Lord at all times, his praise shall continually be in my mouth. . . . I sought the Lord, and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears. Psalm 34:1, 4

“I have purposes for you. I have a ministry for you. Look not to any man to open this door. I not only open doors, but more often than otherwise, I create the place of service. I lead in new paths and down unpaved roads. . . . Be prepared for the unexpected and anticipate surprises.” (Frances J. Roberts, Progress of Another Pilgrim)

Father, I want to do Your will. I don’t want to drag my feet and miss what You have for us. Right now I think the ACGI job is part of Your plan for us. Others have said we need to check out more places around here, but how can we when we’ve heard of nothing. Father, if this move is of You, then help us see around the obstacles, knowing You are able to work them for our good and Your glory. But above all give us confirmation from Your Word and through the Spirit who dwells in us. And continue to give provision. We are running low. I praise You. I love You.

Later: Who knows but You have brought us to this point for such a time as this? To wait on everything to be perfect is to fail to follow You. And if we fail now. . . I don’t even want to contemplate it. . . . Our times are in Your hands.

October 30, 2011
It is good that one should wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord. Lamentations 3:6

Wait for the Lord, and he will deliver you. Proverbs 20:22

Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him; fret not yourself over the one who prospers in his way, over the man who carries out evil devices! Psalm 37:7

Let us not grow weary of doing good; for in due season we will reap if we do not give up. Galatians 6:9

Father, I love You. You do hear my cry and You answer. Your love still amazes me. Last evening as I was going through my journal from the end of August and into September I saw again how You have been leading us to change. And in many ways You have already brought change. But there’s more. I hoped that after going through those, I would have a clearer vision of what’s ahead, but instead I’m sensing that you want us to step out in faith, to make a decision before seeing all the details fall in place. Like Esther, allowing You to guide us step by step. So again I’m asking for clear conviction, a verse, a word, for both of us. It doesn’t have to be the same one, but I need it for when the enemy tries to thwart us. You do have plans to prosper us. Help us see the next step with confident faith and trust in You. I love You.

November 1, 2011

The Spirit of the Lord shall rest upon him, the Spirit of wisdom and understanding, the Spirit of counsel and might, the Spirit of knowledge and the fear of the Lord. And his delight shall be in the fear of the Lord. Isaiah 28:29

The Lord of hosts . . . is excellent in counsel and excellent in wisdom. Isaiah 28:29

If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him. James 1:5

Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths. Proverbs 1:5–6

Thanks be to God which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. 1 Corinthians 15:57

“My Spirit broods upon the waters, even upon the waters of difficulty. Be not dismayed, neither be turned aside. Set your hearts with even greater diligence to follow the Spirit. Others may find Me and lose Me again. Be not discouraged, what navigator would set his course by the location of other ships? You have a harbor to make, and you have a course to follow that lies dead ahead. (Frances J. Roberts, Progress of Another Pilgrim)

Father, You are all I need. You do give wisdom and understanding to all who seek You. This is what we need for the job decision before us. You have reminded me of several promises of Your direction since we received the job offer, so I have no doubt You will keep those promises. The more I trust You, the more I know You will not lead us astray. Guide my thoughts and actions today. I love You.

[This topic will be continued tomorrow.]

1 comment:

Eleanor Wright said...

It takes a lot of faith and trust and you chronicled it well. God bless your move in every detail. What is ACGI and where in MO will you be living? E Geary Wright