Monday, February 8, 2010

Deliver Us from Evil By Robin Caroll

 Today I'm spotlighting Robin Caroll's newest release from B&H Publishing Group, Deliver Us from Evil

Robin Caroll has authored eight previous books including Bayou Justice and Melody of Murder. She gives back to the writing community as conference director for the American Christian Fiction Writers organization. A proud southerner through and through, Robin lives with her husband and three daughters in Little Rock, Arkansas.

 I recently asked Robin a few questions, which she graciously answered. 

How did you get started writing, and where has that journey taken you that you may not have expected starting out?
When I decided to start writing my stories geared toward publication, I first wrote a secular romantic suspense. I had no idea what I was doing, mind you, but I didn’t feel passionate about the story. About a year later I realized why—I needed to put a faith thread in my stories because my faith is such a part of me. When things began happening—getting an agent, getting the first contract, it all began to move very quickly. My first book was released in October 2007…I had 3 books release in 2008…3 books release in 2009…I’ll have 3 books release in 2010. I didn’t expect things to keep moving as they have been, but I’ve never felt so blessed in my career journey. I can truly say I’m living my dream.

How do you balance family life with writing?
MOST days, I try to work from 8am-2pm, to write around my children’s schedule. I leave Sundays open for church and family time. However sometimes life intrudes and I can’t work due to a child’s illness, or a special project they need help on, holidays, etc. I make up my writing time when I can. And as deadlines approach, I may have to work when they’re home. I’m blessed to have such a supportive family.

How does your walk with the Lord affect your writing? And how do you balance time with the Lord with your writing schedule?
I find some of the issues God’s dealing with me on end up in my books. LOL I never “plan” the spiritual thread in my books, I wait for God to show me what He wants. Sometimes, He’s so good to me that He gives me the spiritual thread early in the book. Often, however, I won’t get it until I’m halfway through the book, so I have to go back and weave it in. I think God’s just working on sharpening my skill as a writer. LOL

Since my blog is geared to writers who want to improve their self-editing, could you briefly take us through your process of writing a novel—from conception to revision?
Well….I get a germ of an idea…just a topic or a character, or I get an image in my head. I’ll let it stew in my subconscious for a bit before I bring it out and play with it a little. Then, I get some of my brainstorming partners and we start hashing out a very wide and general plot. Once I’ve got a general idea of the story overview, I do character interview sheets on at least 4 of my main characters. These pages are extremely in-depth and allow me to know my characters inside and out. I begin writing. As I finish each chapter, I send it to my critique partners, but keep writing. When they send my chapters back, I hold them in a folder until the next day. I always read my crits first thing in the morning. I make any changes needed, then continue writing. Once the book is complete, I read it through from start to finish, making notes of things I need to add in, remove, etc. I start playing with word choices while I’m making notes. When I finish my read-through, I go back through, using my notes. Once I’m done with that, I have cold readers who read it from start to finish, as do I. I take their comments, along with my own, and make any changes. And then I turn the ms in to my editor.

Would you tell us a little about your future projects?
Deliver Us From Evil is the first book in a trilogy. While each book stands alone on its own, there is character crossover. The second book, FEAR NO EVIL, focuses on the global social issue of gangs, and releases in August. The third book, IN THE SHADOW OF EVIL (tentative title) addresses the issue of scams in the building industry and releases February 2011. I’m currently working on a proposal for a new series.

Finally, would you discuss Deliver Us From Evil? The research, the idea, and the scope of the project?
The idea came to me when I watched an appalling documentary about child trafficking. As much as I wanted to change the channel, I couldn’t. I was horrified. I began doing research on child trafficking, and literally got sick. I had no idea this travesty occurred on such a large scale—right under my nose! At this point, a story idea took hold in my mind…a way I could use fiction to help raise awareness of this modern-day slavery. Thus, DELIVER US FROM EVIL was born.


About Deliver Us from Evil
 

A beautiful yet tough woman working in a beautiful yet tough setting, Brannon Callahan is a search and rescue helicopter pilot for the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Strong faith and a decorated history of service have kept her one step ahead of on-the-job dangers, but there’s no precedent for what’s about to happen. After a blizzard takes down a small plane carrying U.S. Marshal Roark Holland (already haunted by a recent tragedy), Brannon must save him in more ways than one and safeguard the donor heart he’s transporting to a government witness on the edge of death. Otherwise the largest child trafficking ring in history—with shocking links from Thailand to Tennessee—will slip further away into darkness along the Appalachian Trail.






Thank you so much, Robin! I appreciate your time and the opportunity to spotlight your work.
Thanks so much for having me, Margie. It’s been a pleasure.

 I've read the first few chapters of Deliver Us from Evil, and can't wait to finish the rest of this action-packed book. I will post a review when I finish reading it.

For more information about Robin and her books, check out her Website.

No comments: