Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Organizing

New Year's resolutions seem to be the main topic of discussion every new year. And this year is no exception. I don't particularly care for resolutions, but I do usually have an idea sometime in January of where I'd like to be on several fronts by the end of the year. Having my birthday on the last day of the year lends itself to a natural evaluation of what I've accomplished over the last year of my life as well as the calendar year.

Even while I worked to finish five projects last week (way too busy!), my mind subconsciously took over the evaluation. So I knew the areas I wanted to concentrate on this year when I sat down to make a list over the weekend. It also helped that my thoughts were already directed to success and failure through my quiet times last week. More on that later.

The Lord blessed my editing business last year. But in the blessing, I've learned that I'm not as organized and well-disciplined in keeping my self-imposed deadlines. And I'm carrying several individual clients into the new year. They've been incredibly patient with me, but I know I need to establish better guidelines to match what I can realistically do. So this is my first goal for 2009.

Along with the editing, the Lord has made it clear I'm to start writing more. That means less time to edit. So these goals need to be looked at with the editing in mind, as well. I've spent a lot of time in prayer over these interconnected uses of my time . . . and I'll need to pray a lot more before I find a solution that works. This blog is part of that writing. The purpose for this blog to help writers with self-editing their own work. Part of learning to write well is reading other authors. So I'll continue with the Christian Fiction Blog Alliance and post twice a week with information on new releases. Those I will post on Wednesdays and Fridays. For the remainder of each week, I want to focus on the writing process, especially as it relates to fiction writing. These posts will include revising and rewriting, self-editing, plotting, characterization—everything that's needed to get an idea down on paper and bringing it to the point of publication. This includes devotional thoughts on life in general, as how we relate to Christ has a huge bearing on every area of life, including our writing.

So this is ambitious, especially in the light of my editing schedule. But it's the one thing that seems to be clearly directed from the Lord. Now . . . if I could "see" as clearly where the other writing and editing and judging fit in with family life and physical health . . .

I'm so thankful for the Lord's promise in Isaiah 58:11 that He is guiding me continually.

No comments: