Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy Valentine's Day

Blogspot has been uncooperative today, the reason I'm late getting this posted.

My aunt Carol sent this to me today, speaking of the Lover of our souls:

For God so loVed the world,
That He gAve

His onLy

BegottEn

SoN

T
hat whosoever

Believeth In Him
Should
Not perish,

But have Everlasting life.

John 3:16

A great old hymn of the faith came to me again today. It was one of the hymn histories I read earlier this week.

Charles Wesley was preach­ing in the fields of the par­ish of Killy­leagh, Coun­ty Down, Ire­land, when he was at­tacked by men who did not ap­prove of his doc­trines. He sought re­fuge in a house lo­cat­ed on what was known as the Is­land Barn Farm. The far­mer’s wife, Jane Low­rie Moore, told him to hide in the milk­house, down in the gar­den. Soon the mob came and de­mand­ed the fu­gi­tive. She tried to qui­et them by of­fer­ing them re­fresh­ments. Go­ing down to the milk­house, she di­rect­ed Mr. Wesley to get through the rear win­dow and hide un­der the hedge, by which ran a lit­tle brook. In that hid­ing-place, with the cries of his pur­su­ers all about him, he wrote this im­mor­tal hymn. De­scend­ants of Mrs. Moore still live in the house, which is much the same as it was in Wes­ley’s time.

"Jesus, Lover of My Soul"

Jesus, lover of my soul, let me to Thy bosom fly,
While the nearer waters roll, while the tempest still is high.
Hide me, O my Savior, hide, till the storm of life is past;
Safe into the haven guide; O receive my soul at last.

Other refuge have I none, hangs my helpless soul on Thee;
Leave, ah! leave me not alone, still support and comfort me.
All my trust on Thee is stayed, all my help from Thee I bring;
Cover my defenseless head with the shadow of Thy wing.

Wilt Thou not regard my call? Wilt Thou not accept my prayer?
Lo! I sink, I faint, I fall—Lo! on Thee I cast my care;
Reach me out Thy gracious hand! While I of Thy strength receive,
Hoping against hope I stand, dying, and behold, I live.

Thou, O Christ, art all I want, more than all in Thee I find;
Raise the fallen, cheer the faint, heal the sick, and lead the blind.
Just and holy is Thy Name, I am all unrighteousness;
False and full of sin I am; Thou art full of truth and grace.

Plenteous grace with Thee is found, grace to cover all my sin;
Let the healing streams abound; make and keep me pure within.
Thou of life the fountain art, freely let me take of Thee;
Spring Thou up within my heart; rise to all eternity.



One more thought: I'm proofreading Denise Hunter's newest book from Thomas Nelson, The Convenient Bridegroom. What a beautiful picture of God's love she has woven into this story. It releases in April, the second in her Nantucket Island series. I featured her first book in this series, Surrender Bay, here. This is a must-read for those who may be struggling with the realization that God loves each one of us with an everlasting love—unconditionally, unreservedly, and unrestrainedly. Oh, how I needed this read right now. It shouldn't, but I'm constantly amazed at how God orchestrates the proofreading projects I'm asked to take. Wow! God is soooo good!


Daily Bible reading:
Isaiah 59–61; Mark 14:1–27

No comments: