Thursday, January 13, 2011

Still Trusting God—One Step at a Time

Three more days leading up to Roger's job termination notice. When I look back, I'm in awe of His goodness and faithfulness.


January 1, 2011

Do not be afraid of sudden fear nor of the onslaught of the wicked when it comes; for the Lord will be your confidence and will keep your foot from being caught. Proverbs 3:26

How blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked, nor stand in the path of sinners, nor sit in the seat of scoffers! But his delight in is the law of the Lord, and in His law he meditates day and night. He will be like a tree firmly planted by the streams of water which yields its fruit in its season and its leaf does not wither; and is whatever he does, he prospers. Psalm 1:1–3

But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind . . . I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. Philippians 3:13–14

Let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus. Hebrews 12:1–2

“It is the Lord that goes before you. He will be with you; he will not leave you or forsake you.” Deuteronomy 31:8

I am continually with you; you hold my right hand. You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will receive me to glory. Psalm 73:23–24

And lo, I am with you always. Matthew 28:20

“It is true that Jesus is with you. Only you do not know it, and you do not enjoy it, because you do not believe it. But as soon as you learn to rely not upon your own feelings or on your own experience but on what He has promised, and to direct your expectation according to faith in what He has said . . . it will become your blessedness. . . . Whether I think of it or not, there he is the whole day—near me, with me. Not on my own faithfulness, but in that faithfulness of Yours which awakens my confidence and bestows on me Your own nearness.” (Andrew Murray, The Lord’s Supper)

“Seek Me early; seek Me late; seek Me in the midst of the day. You need Me in the early hours for direction and guidance and for My blessing upon your heart. You need Me at the end of the day to commit into My hands the day’s happenings. And you need Me more than ever in the busy hours, so that I may give you My grace and My tranquility and My wisdom. I desire to take the tensions of life from you.” (Frances J. Roberts, Come Away My Beloved)

“Give Me every care. Give Me every burden. Give Me every fear. I stand ready to help you. You have only begun to taste of My goodness. I am loving you all the time, but you come to Me mostly in periods of stress. I want to teach you to live continually in My presence. I can give you more constructive help when you are sick, but when you are well, you are too busy to give Me the opportunity to minister.
“So I help you now in the hour of discouragement, and I ask you to seek Me when the sun is shining and all is well again. Now I can comfort; then I can teach. Now I can bless you, but then I can help you even more.
“Be obedient. I have a beautiful work for you to do for Me.”
Psalm 55:22 (Frances J. Roberts, Progress of Another Pilgrim)

Father, this is the first day of a new year, not only in age but also in eternity. I so long to be faithful in all You have called me to do. And the readings today from Your Word and the devotionals have reinforced that longing. Help me to break out of the deadly habit of procrastination, to know when it is time to take a break, but also to know now to keep working instead of taking yet another “break.” Lord, give me the guidance I so desperately need. I am determined to obey You.

Thank You for the blessing of family and friends and the words of encouragement and affirmation You send my way. I praise You. I love You.


January 2, 2011

Sing to the Lord a new song. Isaiah 42:10

“Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord God, even my God, will be with thee; He will not fail thee, nor forsake thee.” 1 Chronicles 28:20

We should serve in newness of spirit. Romans 7:6

“The year begins; and all its pages are as blank as the silent years of the life of Jesus Christ. Let us begin it with high resolution; then let us take all its limitations, all its hindrances, its disappointments, its narrow and commonplace conditions, and meet them . . . with patience, with obedience, putting ourselves in cheerful subjection, serving our apprenticeship. Who knows what opportunity may come to us this year? Let us live in a great spirit, then we shall be ready for a great occasion.” (George Hodges)

“More than all the comforts of the world, I want you to know the comforts of My presence.
            “Many dangers beset your path, but I shall keep you if you trust in Me. Darkness presses you, and doubts arise, but the light of my Holy Spirit ever burns in your heart to cheer you and encourage you to go on, yes, to go on knowing I will surely bring you out.” (Frances J. Roberts, On the Highroad of Surrender)


January 3, 2011

You, O Lord, are a shield about me, my glory, and the One who lifts my head. I was crying to the Lord with my voice, and He answered me from His holy mountain. I lay down and slept; I awoke, for the Lord sustains me. Psalm 3:3–5

He led them in a straight way. Psalm 107:7

“Even to your old age I am he, and to gray hairs I will carry you. I have made, and I will bear; I will carry and will same.” Isaiah 46:4

He restores my soul. He leads me in the paths of righteousness for his name’s sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me, you rod and your staff, they comfort me. Psalm 23:3–4

“And the Lord will guide you continually and satisfy your desire in scorched places and make your boes strong; and you shall be like a watered garden, like a spring of water, whose waters do not fail.” Isaiah 58:11

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above. James 1:17

Father, You are worthy of praise. After hitting a deep place last night—dark, very dark—You heard me. And You gave me blessed peace. . . . And You gave me these verses reminding me that You are in control. Help me keep my eyes on You so I can run the race with patience. . . . Give me a quick mind as I work today. I love You.

No comments: