Friday, April 16, 2010

2010 ACFW Colorado Retreat

Overwhelmed? Discouraged? Not sure where to turn, what to tackle first?

Believe me, I’m there! I’ve been trying for three days to get this written, knowing what an encouragement to me God’s Word is.

Next week is our Third Annual ACFW Colorado Retreat. See the details below. With the help of the officers in our ACFW Colorado chapters, I organize and run the retreat. This year, I’m also the speaker. And it seems that everything is conspiring to derail my much-needed prep time. I’m so thankful for friends who pray for me. I wouldn’t make it through this time without them.

And God has proved faithful. He’s constantly giving me the things He wants me to say on the topic of being prepared to give His answer through our writing. In creative ways, through unexpected means. He is always faithful. He is always good. And He’s used His Word to remind me of that!

Psalm 30 (nasb)

I will extol You, O Lord, for You have lifted me up, and have not let my enemies rejoice over me. O Lord my God, I cried to You for help, and You healed me. O Lord, You have brought up my soul from Sheol; You have kept me alive, that I would not go down to the pit.

Sing praise to the Lord, you His godly ones, and give thanks to His holy name. For His anger is but for a moment, His favor is for a lifetime; weeping may last for the night, but a shout of joy comes in the morning.

Now as for me, I said in my prosperity, “I will never be moved.” O Lord, by Your favor You have made my mountain to stand strong; You hid Your face, I was dismayed.

To You, O Lord, I called, and to the Lord I made supplication: “What profit is there in my blood, if I go down to the pit? Will the dust praise You? Will it declare Your faithfulness? Hear, O Lord, and be gracious to me; O Lord, be my helper.”

You have turned for me my mourning into dancing; You have loosed my sackcloth and girded me with gladness, that my soul may sing praise to You and not be silent. O Lord my God, I will give thanks to You forever.


Over the last few years, I’ve been blessed through the writings of Frances J. Roberts. She writes much of her poetry and devotional thoughts from God’s point of view. The following excerpt is from her book On the Highroad of Surrender (Barbour Publishing 1973).

“O My child, do not weep. I am doing a beautiful work. Stress and pressure and pain are often the path to victory and understanding. Penitence is a mother to purity, and contrition a father to total consecration.

“I am in the midst, and I am a strong deliverer. You need not be concerned. You must not be sad. Courage is the greatest contribution you can make at this point. To be strong now will make the path of recovery easier. Faith is an essential ingredient in every solution. . .often it is the solution itself.

“Never underestimate the power of faith. Faith is your ability to bring Divine Action to bear upon any given situation. Hold fast. Trust. Unseen angels assist you. Doors are opening to let you pass into safety.

“Pour all the intensity of your soul into serving Me, and you will receive great consolation. It is My way provided for your solace and preservation. I will bring you other mercies as I see you have need.

“Be strong! I will measure the trials according to your strength and My mercy, but I expect you to stand true. No one can do this for you.

“It is your supreme hour of destiny. Throw your whole being into winning.”


And with these words, I push on toward the goal He has set before me, knowing He never leaves me alone. Knowing that He is accomplishing His purposes in me. To God be the glory! He indeed is good.



Join us for a weekend designed for encouragement, refreshment, fellowship, as we take an in-depth look into the Word of God and how we can be prepared to write His answer—to Christians and non-Christians, through fiction or nonfiction. Through Bible study and prayer times we will explore what God has to say about His Word and its relevance to us today.

Speaker: Margie Vawter
Topic: Prepared to Give His Answer

*************
REGISTRATION INFORMATION

There will be three registration options this year:

Option #1 - Overnight at Camp Eden. $60 members/$65 non-members
Option #2 - Overnight at Eldora Lodge. $70 members/$75 non-members
Option #3 - No overnight. $30 members/$35 non-members

Walk-ins welcome.

Financial arrangements available. Please contact Margie Vawter at shevetwrite@pcisys.net.

You may register online, by mail, or as a walk-in.

To register online, go to www.acfwcolorado.com/events and click on the online registration link. ACFW Colorado accepts PayPal.

To register by mail, go to www.acfwcolorado.com/events and click on the mail-in registration link. Download the form, print it off and mail it, along with a check made payable to HIS Writers, to HIS Writers, PO Box 19741, Denver CO 80219.

Brochure with complete details can also be downloaded at the above website.

The retreat is open to ACFW members and non-members.

*************
Camp Eden is located off CO Hwy 72 in Coal Creek Canyon in the Roosevelt National Forest (see map).

Eldora Lodge is located about 1/4 mile west of the Camp Eden Rd turnoff. To view the lodge go to www.eldoralodge.com.

No comments: